Monday, December 5, 2011

Being the Change I Want to See

When I came home yesterday evening I decided to share with my mom an idea I had for the image consulting business I want to start in the future.  I told her I was thinking about trying my hand at helping people make over there closets. I explained that it wold be apart of the services I would provide as an image consultant.Her overall response was that she doesn't see me doing that type of work  because she doesn't see me actually doing it in my everyday life. Now my natural reaction was to get defensive and adamantly give all the reasons on why I could be perfect in this line of work. I mean after all don't mechanics have the worst running cars?! After taking in everything my mom had to say I realized she was right.  I want to own my own business bad and I want to help people improve how they see themselves.   So in order to do that I have to be the change I want.

Many of us find ourselves in a rut with an "anywhere but here" mindset but have no idea how to get out of it.  The only way is to commit to being the change that you want to see. It starts with setting a series of mini measurable goals that will lead you to your overall goal.  Also make sure your mini goals are realistic and that you go back and re-evaluate them regularly.  To help keep track of your goals try writing them in this format...

At the bottom of a piece of paper right down what your current situation is. At the top of the same page right where you want to be in a certain amount of time. Finally in between those two sentences right a few measurable goals that would help you reach your overall goal.

My inspiration for this format actually came from a business site that discusses how to develop a strategy. So you can think of this goal setting exercise as a strategy for your personal life.  Hope y'all find this helpful andI will keep y'all updated on my goal setting progress! Till then


-Vix



No comments:

Post a Comment